Thursday, April 3, 2008

The light of the Gospel

"The dichotomy between a world of so-called objective facts that can be 'scientifically' known apart from any faith commitment on the part of the knower and a world of beliefs that are solely the personal responsibility of the believer is precisely what has to be questioned in the light of the gospel." (Lesslie Newbigin "Foolishness to the Greeks" p50)
This is precisely the tension that I feel as I work on tumblon. I'm working with 'scientific' facts called developmental and literacy milestones that we will present to parents on the basis of scientific research, and I'm working with a set of values [parenting, literacy, virtue, etc.] that cannot find their origin in that 'scientific' world precisely because they are claims about what should be, a realm which the scientific world-view has relegated to 'belief' rather than knowledge.

The only way (that I can see) to faithfully present the facts and values with appropriate confidence is to do exactly what Newbigin is suggesting: to question the dichotomy between the 'world of so-called objective facts' and the 'world of beliefs.' There is no question in my mind that this confrontation is necessary; the remaining question for me is how to do it in my situation.

No comments: