Saturday, April 11, 2009

Spending or investing?

In common use, English speakers often say that they spend time. "I spent the past week with my in-laws." It is indeed monetary language, which acknowledges that time is precious. To use time is to spend it. And how we use our time is eminently important, because no person has more time than any other. To each person is allotted the same 24 hours in each day.

Not long ago, I was describing to a friend my time at home with my daughter during my wife's pediatric residency. It occurred to me that it was much more true to say that I had invested three years in nurturing and raising my daughter, than to say I had spent that time.

That realization caused me to ponder: how do we invest our time? Where are we looking for interest and dividends? A great many people invest an inordinate amount of time in work. So it is fair to ask them: Do you expect to still be part this company or organization in 20 years? Compare that to your relationships. Are you married? Do you expect to be married in 20 years? Do you have children? Do you expect to still be in relationship with them in 20 years?

Where are you investing your time?

No comments: